Hello,

On Sat, 21 Mar 2020, Marc Joliet wrote:
>Am Mittwoch, 18. März 2020, 16:56:52 CET schrieb antlists:
[..]
>> Can't remember where it was - some mag ran a stress-test on a bunch of
>> SSDs and they massively outlived their rated lives ... I think even the
>> first to fail survived about 18months of continuous hammering - and I
>> mean hammering!
>
>The German c't magazine did a similar test of various SSDs from
>different

I mentioned that in the other thread ("SDD, what features..."), I plan
to sum up the articles tomorrow. I'd guess he means that test ;)

>price categories, and they all showed the same result (I think some exceeded
>their lifetime by more than a factor of two, and the minimum was something
>like 1.5).

If you mean TBW by "lifetime": All above factor 2, best: over 18. Ok,
those were the "brand models" (1 Crucial, 1 OCZ (Toshiba), 2 Samsung
and 2 Sandisk, and 2 drives of each model)...

Fun fact: one of the test PCs died and killed two of the 3 remaining
SSDs, the second Sandisk Extreme Pro (the first had died already) and
the first Samsung 850 Pro. The remaining second Samsung 850 Pro in the
other Test-PC was still being hammered 4.5 months later with 8 PeBi
written (all drives were 240/256 GB), but showing first "Uncorrectable
Errors" via SMART.

The test also included the failure mode as well, e.g. "dead as a
brick" in a moment, warning signs via SMART, failure to write but
still readable etc.

The mag followed that up with a test of el-cheapo SSDs ... which I'll
include in my summary.

-dnh