(Hmm, weird, this failed to send and was laying around in my outbox.)

Am Samstag, 21. März 2020, 16:29:48 CET schrieb David Haller:
> Hello,
>
> On Sat, 21 Mar 2020, Marc Joliet wrote:
> >Am Mittwoch, 18. März 2020, 16:56:52 CET schrieb antlists:
> [..]
>
> >> Can't remember where it was - some mag ran a stress-test on a bunch of
> >> SSDs and they massively outlived their rated lives ... I think even the
> >> first to fail survived about 18months of continuous hammering - and I
> >> mean hammering!
> >
> >The German c't magazine did a similar test of various SSDs from
> >different
>
> I mentioned that in the other thread ("SDD, what features..."), I plan
> to sum up the articles tomorrow. I'd guess he means that test ;)
>
> >price categories, and they all showed the same result (I think some
> >exceeded their lifetime by more than a factor of two, and the minimum was
> >something like 1.5).
>
> If you mean TBW by "lifetime": All above factor 2, best: over 18. Ok,
> those were the "brand models" (1 Crucial, 1 OCZ (Toshiba), 2 Samsung
> and 2 Sandisk, and 2 drives of each model)...

Yes, that's what I meant (the SSDs are rated for an expected amount of data
written they can sustain, and apparently it's estimated very conservatively).

> Fun fact: one of the test PCs died and killed two of the 3 remaining
> SSDs, the second Sandisk Extreme Pro (the first had died already) and
> the first Samsung 850 Pro. The remaining second Samsung 850 Pro in the
> other Test-PC was still being hammered 4.5 months later with 8 PeBi
> written (all drives were 240/256 GB), but showing first "Uncorrectable
> Errors" via SMART.
>
> The test also included the failure mode as well, e.g. "dead as a
> brick" in a moment, warning signs via SMART, failure to write but
> still readable etc.
>
> The mag followed that up with a test of el-cheapo SSDs ... which I'll
> include in my summary.

Cool, I forgot most of the details (including that the test was split between
brand and cheapo models), so I'm looking forward to your summary!

> -dnh

Greetings
--
Marc Joliet