On 3/26/20 5:07 AM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
On Thu, 26 Mar 2020 14:10:51 +0800, thegeezer wrote:

https://motion-project.github.io/
=media-video/motion-4.1.1-r1:0
it supports a rake of cameras, so you should be good to go almost
straight away; multiple network cameras, usb cameras etc

it will do timelapse footage, and motion detection recording, and can
be very tuned in every way

+1 for motion. It will also stream the video out, so you can view it on a
mobile device.

Thanks guys. I'm glad this (obvious?) path has been established.

Anyone else is encourage to add comments about cameras, wireless frequencies, coax cables, fiber-cameras or hard drives (btrfs?) or any other information are all welcome. Night vision cameras are of keen interest, cause I have lots of (wild) animals, snakes and birds to watch too, just for kicks as I'm near a small wetland and a river. So a 'virtual porch' is part of the ultimate goals.

Security and (wildlife) entertainment, are the ultimate integrated goal, with some very hi-res cameras that may only record for short duration. Ultimately, some static IPs and reliable (outbound) bandwidth may allow me to share some footage and a few live connections at a time. All of this is a ways off, but on the dream list. Got a 17' gator nearby; he is the size of a tug boat.

Thanks again for all the information and everyone is invited to contribute ideas.
media-video/motion-4.1.1-r1

James