J. Roeleveld wrote:
> On Thursday, April 2, 2020 12:49:11 AM CEST Dale wrote:
>> antlists wrote:
>>> I know you're not UK, but under European rules you'd be able to return
>>> that opened cartridge at their expense - "not as described" and it's
>>> their problem even if you had to open it to find out.

>>> My HP laser is like that. Mind you, my colour cartridges "ran out" at
>>> about 1900 pages. They're still going fine (well, the yellow got
>>> replaced) at 4000 pages. But HP do say that a cartridge running empty
>>> won't damage the printer - all the vulnerable parts are in the cartridge.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Wol
>> I did try to contact them but have not heard back, either way.  They may
>> be closed or something tho.  No idea.  Some businesses are closed due to
>> the bug thingy. It may be that later on they allow me to return it.
>>
>> From my understanding, when it reaches zero pages, it stops that
>> cartridge from working.  In other words, even if there is toner in the
>> cartridge, it won't feed it into the printer.  It may be a Lexmark
>> thing.  HP may do it differently.  I looked to see if I could find a
>> replacement chip and some toner but not for my printer, yet anyway.
>> Maybe in a year or so.
> I use HP and don't have that issue.
> Otherwise it would have stopped printing months ago :)
>
> --
> Joost

I'm surprised someone hasn't hacked the firmware in order to bypass all
that page count crap.  I wouldn't be surprised if it was some Linux type
OS either.  That should make it easier. It seems the printer is fairly
new.  Maybe by the time these new cartridges get low, something will
have changed.  Either a way to disable page counts, cheap replacement
ships and toner refill or something else I'm not aware of yet.

I may keep a eye out on a HP or other brand of printer.  One thing tho,
it will be duplex.  I love printing on both sides.  :-D

Dale

:-)  :-)