On Tuesday, April 7, 2020 5:54:25 AM CEST Ian Zimmerman wrote:
> On 2020-04-06 22:14, Dale wrote:
> > I have DSL and it isn't to fast to begin with.  At
> > times tho, I'm only getting about 20 or 30% of what I should.
>
> Are you often on the phone at those times?  May it be poor filtering?
>
> At my last residence - also "in the sticks", LOL - we had to give up on
> DSL completely, because 6 times out of 10 when we got a phone call the
> internet dropped.  Seriously.  We're not proud to support the Comcast
> monopoly, but what a difference.

This is likely caused by NOT having a filter for every device.

Longer version:

DSL requires a splitter/filter between the wall-socket (where the phone
normally plugs in) and the DSL modem. It also has a 2nd connection for the
phone.

This filter needs to be installed between ALL phone-wall-sockets and any
device plugged in.

(Alternatively, you place the filter at the main entry-point and connect the
router from that filter and run the "phone" port to the rest of the house.)