On 4/18/20 10:56 AM, tu...@posteo.de wrote:
Hi,

I /thought/ that /etc/portage/package.mask is a file and using it
in this manner works as exspected.
Also the docs are of that opinion, too:
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki//etc/portage/package.mask

BUT!

  * error: please convert //etc/portage/package.mask to a directory
  *

urges me to make a directory out of it.
After doing so, the command starts.

I am confused....slightly...

The devs are deprecating the flat-file version of package.*, I have been gettings warnings during emerges indicating that they all need to be changed to the directory layout.

If you ignore this eventually emerge will stop working. I've already taken the few minutes to move all my boxes to the directory layout, and split out the packages to individual files. You don't have to go that far though, the entries can stay in one file under the new directory structure.

Dan