On Sun, 19 Apr 2020 12:12:02 -0400, John Covici wrote:

> > The devs are deprecating the flat-file version of package.*, I
> > have been gettings warnings during emerges indicating that they
> > all need to be changed to the directory layout.
> >
> > If you ignore this eventually emerge will stop working. I've
> > already taken the few minutes to move all my boxes to the
> > directory layout, and split out the packages to individual
> > files. You don't have to go that far though, the entries can stay
> > in one file under the new directory structure.
>
> I wonder why they are doing this, I find the single file much easier
> to deal with and its easier to make sure I don't have duplicate
> entries this way.

Horses for courses I suppose. I prefer a separate file for a package and
its dependencies. Then if I uninstall that package, I can simply delete
the file.

eix-test-obsolete should find duplicate entries, although that hasn't
been an issue so far.

--
Neil Bothwick

The considered application of terror is also a form of communication.