I just installed simplescreenrecorder as well. The same pulseaudio method
should also work for that by choosing the "Monitor" variants, although I have
to add that it would not allow you to capture both a mic and firefox (or other
application at the same time) unless you play back your own microphone sound.
With OBS you can add an Input and Output source to have both mic and desktop
audio.

If you want to have more control or are reluctant to use pulseaudio (as some
are) then it gets more complicated. With ALSA, I know there are ways to
support it by editing the ALSA configuration file but I don't know anything
about that (nor do I really like that approach).

I would then recommend using JACK instead, and setup ALSA programs to use a
wrapper for JACK, this would allow you to route any audio through anything
(for which people in Music as I am use Jack) including mixing it together
before sending to SimpleScreenRecorder or OBS. The 2 tools I recommend to add
would be cadence (for configuring Jack + ALSA) and catia (to setup the proper
audio routing) possibly combined with some jack audio mixer to get a "virtual
mixing panel".

Hope this helps

Regards,

Daniel