On Thursday, 11 June 2020 08:57:45 BST Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Jun 2020 03:19:43 -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
> > > I don't watch Netflix on my laptop, but I've just tried it in Chromium
> > > and it seems to be working fine. I suspect it's either the widevone or
> > > proprietary-codecs USE flag.
> > >
> >   I have Chrome installed. I looked at Chromium.  It wants even more
> >
> > stuff on top of what Chrome has pulled in! No way.
>
> Unless you're using it as your main browser, it's not worth even
> considering the extended build times. I do use it as my main browser, so
> I use chromium and firefox-bin.
>
> Incidentally, I found an a reliable way of killing Firefox on this
> laptop, run a chromium build in the background :)

TBH the way Chromium has been bloating it would kill pretty much anything
alive on a PC.  With 16G RAM I had to add swap, reduce number of jobs, move /
var/tmp/portage to a disk and various other resource gymnastics to stop users
cursing at me for "doing things on their workstation and slowing it down"!

I figured since qtwebengine uses the same rendering engine and I spend enough
time compiling that package anyway, because KDE won't do without it, I might
as well ditch Chromium.  I haven't looked back.  ;-)

Mind you I don't play/watch/pay Netflix anyway.