On Thu, 11 Jun 2020 13:45:53 +0100, Michael wrote:

> > Incidentally, I found an a reliable way of killing Firefox on this
> > laptop, run a chromium build in the background :)
>
> TBH the way Chromium has been bloating it would kill pretty much
> anything alive on a PC.  With 16G RAM I had to add swap, reduce number
> of jobs, move / var/tmp/portage to a disk and various other resource
> gymnastics to stop users cursing at me for "doing things on their
> workstation and slowing it down"!

It's worse with 8GB, but manageable with package.env. It does cause
slowdowns and pauses from time to time, but they were short-lived...
except with Firefox. Once Firefox got hit by a lack of resources, it
wouldn't recover and stayed unresponsive until I shut t down and
restarted it.

I recently started using distcc, specifically for Chromium but I now use
it for a few other packages too. This laptop is now happily building
Chromium and it was only this discussion that reminded me that it was
doing so :)

> I figured since qtwebengine uses the same rendering engine and I spend
> enough time compiling that package anyway, because KDE won't do without
> it, I might as well ditch Chromium.  I haven't looked back.  ;-)

Life would be easier if the rendering engine was separated from the
browser so it only had to be built once.

--
Neil Bothwick

A TRUE Klingon warrior does not comment his code!