On 15 June 2020 17:49:39 CEST, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>On 2020-06-15, J. Roeleveld <jo...@antarean.org> wrote:
>
>><Snipped lengthy output>
>>
>> With a system that has not been updated for over 3 years, I would
>suggest to
>> Start from scratch and copy the config across.
>
>That's definitely, by far, the fastest and easiest way to get to a
>working, current system.
>
>> If you do insist on trying to work through this,
>
>Which is something many of us have done once just to see if we could.

How do you think I learned that sequence as being the best option?

>It's not something one tends to do a second time. :)

I actually did, as I was not able to boot from rescue media anytime soon. It
was a risk to do it by remote and if there had been a power failure in the
middle of it, it could have ended in disaster. But I managed it.

That was the 2nd and last time I ever did that. Ever since I schedule in
maintenance weekends for the few systems that are critical.
(This is at home)

--
Joost