On 17 June 2020 21:32:19 CEST, Michael <confabul...@kintzios.com> wrote:
>On Wednesday, 17 June 2020 18:31:42 BST J. Roeleveld wrote:
>> On 17 June 2020 19:01:54 CEST, Michael <confabul...@kintzios.com>
>wrote:
>
>> >https://wiki.qemu.org/Features/Snapshots2
>>
>> Can you point to where in the commands above the memory anf cpu state
>is
>> actually stored and loaded back when reverting to the snapshot? From
>what I
>> see, it is only fhe disk image.
>> I really need this feature for lab environments where I need the
>ability to
>> fully roll back to a running instance.
>
>I understand runtime parameters (inc. RAM, CPU cores, et al.) are also
>reflected in the snapshot and have seen this mentioned in the
>interwebs, but
>as I have not performed an online snapshot myself and therefore I can't
>
>confirm its validity.  :(
>
>However, all I see in the previous link plus the two below is
>manipulation of
>VM images.
>
>https://wiki.qemu.org/Features/Snapshots

This one mentions the need for guest agent functionality to put the filesystem
in a consistent state, to avoid having to fsck at restore time.
This does not sound like it includes actual memory amd cpu status in the
snapshot.

VMWare, Virtualbox and Xen have had this functionality for decades. It really
is a shame KVM and Qemu don't have this.

>https://wiki.qemu.org/Features/LiveBlockMigration
>

>> >I've wanted to migrate a qemu qcow2 image file or two of different
>OS',
>> >all
>> >currently stored on an ext4 partition on my desktop, to a dedicated
>> >partition
>> >on the disk.  Would this be possible - how?  Would I need to change
>the
>> >qcow2
>> >to a raw image?
>>
>> I don't know. One of the reasons I dislike file based images is the
>lack of
>> transparency and tools. LVM is much simpler for disk based snapshots
>and
>> management.
>>
>> --
>> Joost
>
>I have found QEMU rather esoteric in its command range and options,
>which has
>changed over time;  with older commands deprecated (e.g. '-drive
>if=virtio,...' replaced with '-blockdev file,...'.  I'd like to migrate
>Win10 VM to a disk partition, but would not want to mess this up,
>because I
>would hate to have to reinstall it.

This brings another problem I have with KVM/QEMU: all howtos and documents I
find show long commandline options to just start the VM.
I have not found one where I can provide all the config in a single file and
use that. Allowing me to duplicate settings by simply copying the file and
changing a few lines.

KVM/Qemu seems to be written to be used together with virt-manager which, for
me, lacks important features to make it usable in production.

--
Joost