On 12/07/2020 11:54, tastytea wrote:
On 2020-07-12 11:29+0300 Nikos Chantziaras <rea...@gmail.com> wrote:

On 12/07/2020 09:04, William Kenworthy wrote:
Hi,

      is there a way to change the MAKEOPTS setting on a running
emerge? I am using "-j 5 -l 4" whilst emerging gcc-9.3 but its
creating too much pressure  on memory.  I expect the emerge to take
many more hours but complete eventually - but reducing it to "-j2"
will help other operations whilst not losing whats already been
completed (this is an old atom N330 with 4G ram and is my
gateway/router/firewall/snort/... and the overload is starting to
affect the network throughput significantly).

[…]
ionice is in sys-apps/util-linux, so it's probably already installed.
schedtool though is in sys-process/schedtool and it might not be
installed.
[…]

The nice level can also be adjusted with `renice` from
sys-apps/util-linux:

     renice -n 19 -p pid

Yep, forgot about that. However, I have observed that the nice level doesn't have much impact. But setting a process to SCHED_IDLEPRIO (schedtool -D) and nice level 19 (schedtool -n 19) has a huge impact.