On 7/31/20 9:40 AM, Walter Dnes wrote:
On Wed, Jul 29, 2020 at 08:01:33PM -0400, james wrote

Me, palemoon is my fav browser and it seems to be long term stuck on
python 2.7...... Any suggests on a more secure, feature rich browser
other than palemoon would be interesting to me to at least test.

   Pale Moon is a Firefox fork and has inherited this dependancy from it.
I used to build Pale Moon manually on an older 32-bit CentOS chroot.
That CentOS version only went up to python 2.4, which did not work.  I
had to download a python 2.7 tarball and build it in the home dir (yes,
it works).  The Pale Moon build toolchain found it and it built OK.  The
steps are...

#
# Name it whatever you want
mkdir pysource
cd pysource
wget https://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.7.18/Python-2.7.18.tar.xz
tar xf Py*
cd Python-2.7.18
#
# Name it whatever you want
./configure --prefix=$HOME/py27
make
#
# "su" or "sudo" is not required in the next step.  You have write
# permission to your home directory.
make install

   The "make" command may take while to build, depending on RAM and CPU
in your machine.  Afterwards you probably have to include...

<dev-lang/python-3.0

..in package.mask and also...

=dev-lang/python-2.7.18

..in package.provided.  Since the install in $HOME is not done by
Portage, it'll be left alone.  You may still run into problems if an
ebuild looks for python files via hard-coded paths in /usr.

I just use this:
/var/lib/layman/palemoon/www-client/palemoon

and www-client/palemoon 28.11.0 installs without issue.

Your method makes palemoon.28.11.0
install without any dependence on python.2_7 ?

The package build/install for palemoon will not be part of portage.....? (if I'm understanding what you have written).

James