On 8/1/20 12:10 PM, Walter Dnes wrote:
On Sat, Aug 01, 2020 at 01:05:30AM -0400, Walter Dnes wrote

   I have another idea.  We already have firefox-bin and libreoffice-bin
ebuilds where the compiled tarball is pulled down from upstream, and
untarred.  Would this work on Pale Moon?  I guess it comes down to
whether or not python 2.7 is a run-time dependancy as well as a build
time dependency.  I'll ask on the Pale Moon forum.

   I checked, and it looks like python 2.7 is build-time dependency only.
Pale Moon will *RUN* just fine without python.  Runtime system
requirements according to http://linux.palemoon.org/download/mainline/

*   A modern Linux distribution. The browser may not work well on old or
     LTS releases of Linux.
*   A modern processor (must have SSE2 support as the absolute minimum).
*   1GB of RAM (2GB or more recommended for heavy use).
*   GTK+ v2.24
*   GLib 2.22 or higher
*   Pango 1.14 or higher
*   libstdc++ 4.6.1 or higher

   So a "palemoon-bin" ebuild is possible.  But is it necessary?  If you
pull down and extract the precompiled tarball to your home dir, it can
be set to check for, and do, updates (as long as you have write
permission to the Pale Moon directory).  No need for portage to do it.

OK, give a few days, as I do like the idea of building palemoon locally, outside of portage. Since it is a critical, at this time, app for me, having more than one way to build it or get the binary, is of keen interest to me. What we do not need to do, is start trying to stay on top of all the python.2_7 security issues that abound. In fact, since palemoon is all about a secure browser (for me at least) I'm surprised they, as a project team, are not accelerating the migration to pure Python-3.....

Further security ideas with palemoon are of keen interest to me too. A set of local security testing tools/semantics etc etc would be useful; pointers to existing security tools are keen appreciated too.

thx Walter.

James