On 8/28/20 1:55 PM, james wrote:
I'm proposing, via a small corp I own, to purchase up to (3) dual Rasp.pi 4 setups of (2) R.Pi.4 8gig ram setups and send them to the devs WE all decide on.

A few points.

1) I don't think that 8 GB of RAM is required. -- My email server is a VPS with 2 GB of RAM and is running just fine. So, maybe smaller systems would work. And maybe that would mean that more of them could be acquired for the same funding.

2) I don't know that a Raspberry Pi is strictly required for the testing. I think that anything that will run Gentoo can be used to prove out the software stack. -- Sure, there will /eventually/ need to be /some/ testing on Raspberry Pis. But I think that testing will be later in the game and more of a confirmation after the fact.

3) I'm not sure what you mean by "dual ... setups". What are the two systems (be it Raspberry Pis or VPSs or VMs or something else) supposed to do? - Are you wanting primary and backup (as in MX) or some sort of cluster with shared file system or something else?

Let's us start compiling up the codes, keep it simple (for now) and implement them with gentoo-users as the testers of the email services.

These discussions should be continued to everyone's benefit. However there are way more than (3) folks on these threads who are most capable to do this community prototyping.

I think the idea of using VPSs or VMs means that a lot more people can participate using the same funding.

If WE do not act and get hundreds of these deployed, email, as we know it via RFCS and other standards may just disappeaar, or be relegated to the far reaches of the Internet. What I have read, is standards based email services, particularly by small organizations, are under extreme pressure by large corporations to be marginalized out of existence.

I think I disagree with that.

Many of the big email operators are enforcing higher and higher standards. But the standards /are/ /open/ and /can/ /be/ /implemented/ /by/ /anyone/ who wants to do so.

The /only/ thing that I've seen that is somewhat of a closed system that small players -- like myself -- have no real hop of is getting people like Google to trust our ARC (not DMARC) signatures. Though this is probably more a shortcoming in the ARC specification as it doesn't tackle how to get providers to trust your signature as a small operator.

So any of the folks in these treads can announce publically, or send me private email as to your concerns. Public is best, but, I understand the needs for private communications sometimes. So yea, I'll personally finaces, at least 6 months of (3) projects. I'll take all input, but will make my (funding) decision, in a focus, quick strategy.

I'm happy to participate. My preference would be to use a VPS / VM (which I can provide) and allow others to take advantage of the Pis that are on offer.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die