On Tue, 2020-09-08 at 20:53 +0000, Grant Edwards wrote:
> It seems odd that when there's multiple ways to satisfy a
> virtual there's now way to "configure" which one you want for when
> that virtual get's pulled in.  Maybe I just haven't run into it often
> enough...

I thought about this myself too.  I don't think there's any consistency
to it either.  For example, virtual/jdk will pull in icedtea-bin,
whereas virtual/rust pulls in dev-lang/rust.  It isn't a big deal (to
me) but I also don't fully understand the motivation for all the
decisions.

Maybe a thought for a future portage feature setting for virtual
ebuilds, like --prefer-binary-virtuals versus --prefer-nonbinary-
virtuals or something?  Just spitballing.