On Tue, 8 Sep 2020 21:37:08 -0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards wrote:

> > Alternatively, have portage spit out a warning if a virtual is
> > required and none of its alternatives are installed, but that would
> > spoil running portage non-interactively.
>
> I'd be happy with a simple message when used with --ask that says a
> virtual package has pulled in "X" by default, but "Y or Z" could also
> satisfy that virual.
>
> If I don't like the default, I can answer "N", do a one-shot install
> of my preference, and try again.

That's the sort of thing I was thinking of. It could cause issues for
those that run emerge without checking what it is going to do, but they
are going to hit problems sometime anyway so they may as well learn their
lesson sooner ;-)

Hmm, I hadn't realised there were so many virtuals, I just looked and
saw 186 of them.

--
Neil Bothwick

If it isn't broken, I can fix it.