On Tuesday, 24 November 2020 14:18:58 GMT Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Nov 2020 09:20:52 +0000, Peter Humphrey wrote:
> > My workstation has one NVMe drive and two SATAs. They're always
> > detected in the same order, so I've no need to render my fstab
> > illegible with UUIDs. I could use labels, but why bother? The old
> > system ain't broke, so I've no need to fix it.
>
> But you can fix it in your own time, waiting until it breaks is never
> convenient.

There's nothing to fix, as I said. I'm happy to stick with the /dev/sdX syntax
for as long as
it remains valid. Occam's Razor applies: "don't complicate beyond need."

> > Can you imagine an fstab with 22 partitions specified with UUIDs?
> > Doesn't bear thinking about.
>
> Can you imagine an fstab with 22 partitions? Doesn't bear thinking about.

The NVMe drive, the main one, has 18; I could merge some of those and delete a
couple
that aren't used any more. The packages and distfiles directories don't need
separate
partitions, for example. I suppose it's a bit like Topsy, who "just growed."

--
Regards,
Peter.