On 12/13/20 11:31 AM, n952162 wrote:
On 12/13/20 1:09 AM, Dan Egli wrote:
Have to agree with Neil on this one. You've got a LOT of updates.
World is great, but start with emerge -UDuv @system, after you find
the culprit that is still setting python3_6 as a target. Once the
system emerge is done then you can try world again and hopefully get a
much smaller list. We can help you much better from there.

python3_6 is bad, I've got that now, but lots and lots of packages have
something similar to this:

PYTHON_TARGETS="python3_6 python3_7 python3_8 (-pypy3) -python3_9"

but I have no USE flags set to call for python3_6.

PYTHON_TARGETS is a USE_EXPAND: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Python/PYTHON_TARGETS

Some defaults are set by the profile, but this can also be overridden in package.use. You need to find where PYTHON_TARGETS is including python3_6.

I presumed that
would come from the ebuilds, like this from dev-python/setuptools:

PYTHON_COMPAT=( python2_7 python3_{6,7,8,9} pypy3 )

This is simply specifying which versions of Python setuptools is compatible with. Which one(s) actually get used is determined by PYTHON_TARGETS.

Other than the PYTHON_TARGETS=, and this:

dev-python/markupsafe[python_targets_pypy3(-)?,python_targets_python3_6(-)?,python_targets_python3_7(-)?,python_targets_python3_8(-)?,python_targets_python3_9(-)?...

I don't see where python3_6 is coming into play.

It is the PYTHON_TARGETS.

Incidently, because I saw python3_9 somewhere, I emerged that, and
selected it:

$ eselect python list
Available Python interpreters, in order of preference:
   [1]   python3.9
   [2]   python3.6
   [3]   python3.8 (fallback)
   [4]   python3.7 (fallback)
   [5]   python2.7 (fallback)

but it didn't change anything that I could see.

This only sets the default interpreter (which version of Python is linked to /usr/bin/python). It does not do anything to the portage tree, as far as I am aware. Portage Python dependencies should be controlled with PYTHON_TARGETS.

I can't find out how to make python3.6 fallback.  depclean doesn't
remove it.

Depclean doesn't remove it because your PYTHON_TARGETS output above indicates there are packages still depending on it.

What's particularly frustrating is I can't make out from the log that
there's anything wrong.

Did you try the suggestion from earlier in the thread to try to emerge in smaller pieces, since your @world update is so large? Portage output is daunting when 100s of packages are involved, it is easier to start from a smaller set and work out what's wrong.

I hope my only alternative is not just to reinstall.  A reinstall takes
a couple of days of compiling.

This thread has been going since a week ago... at a certain point reinstalling and letting portage chug through a day of compiling would be less effort than troubleshooting a broken installation.