On 21/12/20 8:20 am, Dale wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> Somewhat related.  I googled and it appears I can hook a NAS to my
> router and share it there.  The router is 1GB, it has yellow ports.  Is
> it true that I can hook a NAS to the router?  I'd assume it can be
> shared with anything connected to the router, even my cell phone if
> needed.
>
> Also, I'm looking at a new network card for my PC.  With the new much
> faster internet coming soon, I need a faster network card.  Router is
> ready, puter isn't.  I found this, sorry for the caps but copy and
> paste.  INTEL GIGABIT DUAL PORT NETWORK ADAPTER PCIe 424RR i350 1GB.  I
> found a site that talks about NAS and network cards.  According to the
> article, this should be a very reliable card and just works.  It has two
> ports.  I know I need one to hook to the router.  Would that second port
> cause me any grief?  Result in conflicts or something?  I been using
> Realtek but article claims these are better.  Anyone have thoughts on
> this?  Have one and can share their experience?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Dale
>
> :-)  :-)

Something to look into before going the traditional raid/nfs route:
moosefs or lizardfs.  I am using arm based odroid HC2's and over the
softraid based nfs I was using there are considerable power savings
(especially if you take into the account redundancy) as it takes a
number of these low power arm systems to match the power requirements of
an older desktop), better data protection (actual, not theoretical for
2x raid 4 disk 10's replaced by a single 5x hc2's using the same disks
with mfs :) and the ease of mounting it into the filesystem.  Downside
is needing a fast network for best performance but an NFS will need that
anyway for similar reasons.

BillK