On 10/30/05, Anthony Roy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> 1) Repartition hdb to add root, swap and boot partition of about 10GB
> for root (what tools can I use in order to keep the data intact on hdb
> whilst partitioning?)

Some softwares like partition magic can do that, but they run under
doze. I'd prefer making a backup, and a fresh repartition tbh.

> 2) Install Gentoo on the new partition with grub set up to boot from
> hda and hdb. This way I can run Suse whilst not actively installing
> Gentoo.

You can boot from the suse, repartition the hdb, then chroot, and do
your gentoo installation.

> 3) Once Gentoo is running the necessary software (the minimum is
> probably ssh, an FTP server, Subversion and apache with mod_python).
>
> So far so good. But what is necessary to remove the old drive? The
> plan is to move the 120GB drive into the hda position. Clearly I will
> have to edit grub.conf, and fstab, but are there any other things I
> will need to think about.

Not that I can think of, except you will probably need to reinstall
your grub. And if you've done a backup when doing step one, you
shouldn't suffer any data loses.

Just my .02USD.

-- Joe

Those who can count, and those who can't.