You were right. With the debugging tips from Alex Mishustin I was able to determine that I had rebuilt 3.9 while fail2ban was using 3.8. I did what I SHOULD have done in the first place and did an emerge -DN fail2ban. That caused portage to see that Python 3.8 needed to be rebuilt, and it did so. Now fail2ban is able to access the sqlite database.

Thanks!