On Friday, 25 June 2021 20:15:22 BST antlists wrote:
> On 25/06/2021 09:46, Michael wrote:

> >> Thanks, but I'm none the wiser ... the thing is, for X the instructions
> >> are simple - "install xorg, run startx".
> >>
> >> Okay, I've done that and got errors I need to solve, but with Wayland I
> >> just don't have a clue. I don't know what I need, I don't know how to
> >> start it, all I've got is a pile of bits in a box, and I don't know what
> >> to do with them.
> >>
> >> Everything I find is like a meccano set - there's loads of bits and
> >> pieces, but no instructions, and I don't have a clue how they fit
> >> together. Where's the recipe that says "do this this and this and you
> >> should have a gui"?
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >> Wol
> >>
> >  From what I recall as long as you set USE="wayland" globally and
> >  re-emerge
> >
> > world with '--changed-use' you should able to launch your dekstop in
> > wayland, rather than Xserver.
> >
> > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Wayland
> >
> > There is a caveat, to make things simple: your desktop environment should
> > have full support for wayland compositing - e.g. Plasma and Gnome come
> > ready baked with their own compositor and will run in Wayland.  Window
> > managers which do not possess a compositor will require one installed
> > separately, as noted in jdm's post, but then we're getting into a box
> > with a pile of bits in it.
> >
> > To launch wayland you can either install a Display Manager and select to
> > start wayland from its GUI options, instead of X11, or you can run the
> > stanzas I provided above.
>
> Bear in mind my profile is desktop/plasma/systemd ...
>
> This is very informative, but it blows up on me ... I've checked that
> wayland is in my use flags so that should all be okay ...
>
> # XDG_SESSION_TYPE=wayland dbus-run-session startplasma-wayland
> ... startplasma-wayland not found ...
>
> # emerge qtgreet
> emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy "qtgreet".
>
> So you've massively helped in that I now know much better how things fit
> together, but unfortunately you've also been no help at all in that the
> stuff you've pointed at doesn't work ...
>
> Where do I go from here ...
>
> Cheers,
> Wol

I don't think systemd is different (although I don't use it with Gentoo),
unless you want to launch a Display Manager like e.g. sddm.

Given your error, you appear to not have installed the requisite packages for
the Plasma/KDE.  It should have been installed as a dependency of plasma-
workspace:

$ qfile startplasma-wayland
kde-plasma/plasma-workspace: /usr/bin/startplasma-wayland

If you have Gnome already installed then you can use the stanza for gnome-
session instead.