On 26/06/21 00:51, Michael wrote:
> On Friday, 25 June 2021 20:15:22 BST antlists wrote:

>>>  From what I recall as long as you set USE="wayland" globally and
>>>  re-emerge
>>>
>>> world with '--changed-use' you should able to launch your dekstop in
>>> wayland, rather than Xserver.
>>>
>>> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Wayland
>>>
>>> There is a caveat, to make things simple: your desktop environment should
>>> have full support for wayland compositing - e.g. Plasma and Gnome come
>>> ready baked with their own compositor and will run in Wayland.  Window
>>> managers which do not possess a compositor will require one installed
>>> separately, as noted in jdm's post, but then we're getting into a box
>>> with a pile of bits in it.
>>>
>>> To launch wayland you can either install a Display Manager and select to
>>> start wayland from its GUI options, instead of X11, or you can run the
>>> stanzas I provided above.
>>
>> Bear in mind my profile is desktop/plasma/systemd ...
>>
>> This is very informative, but it blows up on me ... I've checked that
>> wayland is in my use flags so that should all be okay ...
>>
>> # XDG_SESSION_TYPE=wayland dbus-run-session startplasma-wayland
>> ... startplasma-wayland not found ...
>>
>> # emerge qtgreet
>> emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy "qtgreet".
>>
>> So you've massively helped in that I now know much better how things fit
>> together, but unfortunately you've also been no help at all in that the
>> stuff you've pointed at doesn't work ...
>>
>> Where do I go from here ...
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Wol
>
> I don't think systemd is different (although I don't use it with Gentoo),
> unless you want to launch a Display Manager like e.g. sddm.

Looking at sddm, it appears to require X? I might well have to play with
that, given that I want a multi-user system (indeed, multi-head) system,
but that can wait ...

> Given your error, you appear to not have installed the requisite packages for
> the Plasma/KDE.  It should have been installed as a dependency of plasma-
> workspace:

Ah. Another piece of missing information ... I'll try that. I would have
thought that would have been pulled in seeing as I've got wayland and qt
use flags etc

> $ qfile startplasma-wayland
> kde-plasma/plasma-workspace: /usr/bin/startplasma-wayland
>
> If you have Gnome already installed then you can use the stanza for gnome-
> session instead.

My use flags also contain -gtk -gnome ... gnome at least is on my list
of pet hates ...

Cheers,
Wol