On 10/31/05, Dale <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Rafael Fernández López wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Well, I'd like to recover those holes (that 10% of the disk) and how to
>do it, because I've tried with e2fsck with different options and read
>"man e2fsck" with no possitive results.
>
>Thanks,
>Rafael Fernández López.

There was a guru on the forums that explained to me that it does not
mean the files are fragmented or lost.  If you want, I'll try to find
the thread and post a link.  It made a lot of sense after I read it.
Basically, you haven't lost anything so there is nothing to gain.

I can't remember for sure but I think it was on the LQ forums.  I think
I can find it but it may take a bit of looking.  It was a while ago.

For a more sustainable situation, switch to XFS [It involved a backup/format/restore by whatever means you want]  In any case, xfs has a tool called 'xfs_fsr'  Which means 'file system reorganizer'.  It does defragmentation, and balances some other stuff too.   I run it weekly on my production servers, and nightly on mostof my workstations.

js