On Mon, 2005-10-31 at 20:34 -0800, Joshua Schmidlkofer wrote:
> For a more sustainable situation, switch to XFS [It involved a
> backup/format/restore by whatever means you want]  In any case, xfs
> has a tool called 'xfs_fsr'  Which means 'file system reorganizer'.
> It does defragmentation, and balances some other stuff too.   I run it
> weekly on my production servers, and nightly on most of my
> workstations.

Thus why it is broken by design in my view. A good filesystem should not
need to be defragmented. All filesystems will become fragmented over
time, but a filesystem which is well-behaved should take minimal, if
any, performance loss from it.

For what it's worth, I've never had a *single* problem with Ext3, and
I've been using it with various distributions since I first started
playing with GNU/Linux a few weeks after Fedora Core 1 was released.

--Peter