Michael and All,

Long time ago, on Wednesday, 2021-03-31 12:21:27 +0100,
<confabul...@kintzios.com> wrote:

> OK, unless you made a typo and the "minutes" were meant to say seconds, this
> is ridiculously slow.

Yes, it really were minutes.

> You could run some tests to see what is causing the delay.  The veracrypt
> algos & cipher iterations, the fuse based ntfs-3g, or the USB stick's
> controller.
>
> However if, as I understand it, all other variables are the same and the only
> change was to replace your Verbatim  64G USB 2.0 sticks with Philips 128G USB
> 3.0 sticks, then the slow writes point to the Philips devices being the
> culprit.

I just directly formatted one of my two Philips 128G USB 3.0 sticks with
"mkntfs"  and the write performance  without VeraCrypt  did not improve.
Further searching  the web  I found that vendors  were rarely specifying
the writing speeds of  their USB sticks at all,  and if they did,  there
was a tendency to exaggerate.  See for instance

https://www.lifewire.com/sandisk-extreme-pro-solid-state-flash-drive-review-4689258

Checking what SanDisk USB sticks I could easily obtain locally I finally
picked two  SanDisk Ultra 128 GB  USB 3.0 sticks,  and it turned out the
writing speed was just amazing, with and without VeraCrypt.  So basical-
ly,  USB 3.0 denotes a standard rather than a (write) speed, and it pays
to search the web for benchmark tests before buying.

Thanks for all  the help and support  the participants  on this list are
providing ... :-)

Sincerely,
  Rainer