On 29/07/21 10:28, Dr Rainer Woitok wrote:
> I just directly formatted one of my two Philips 128G USB 3.0 sticks with
> "mkntfs"  and the write performance  without VeraCrypt  did not improve.
> Further searching  the web  I found that vendors  were rarely specifying
> the writing speeds of  their USB sticks at all,  and if they did,  there
> was a tendency to exaggerate.  See for instance

Could this be the 512B / 4K sector size problem?

If performance is horrible, it could well be a stick / partition
mismatch. I never investigated, but if the stick is faking a 512B sector
size, so the partition is using 4K blocks aligned on sector 1, it will
kill write speed, and in time will kill the stick, too!

Cheers,
Wol