On Tuesday, 3 August 2021 02:28:09 BST John Covici wrote:
> On Mon, 02 Aug 2021 18:42:29 -0400,
>
> Michael wrote:

> > > I used to see this from time to time, but then I switched to using git
> > > instead of rsync and haven't seen it again. There's the added bonus that
> > > syncing is MUCH faster too.
> >
> > Last time I looked at git for portage it was not not using gpg to verify
> > the downloaded data - has this feature been added since then?
>
> I don't know when you last looked, but I see it checking the signature
> when downloading from git.

It was some inordinate time ago - can't recall when exactly.  It was after
portage started using gpg with rsync and quarantined any fetched files after
they were downloaded until their signatures were validated.  As I understood
at the time the difference with using git was it would only check the top
commit in the repository had a valid signature, but not what eventually landed
at the local PC.  Also, even to do this check it required you have enabled
"sync-git-verify-commit-signature = yes" - but according to 'man portage' it
defaults to "no".

Anyhow, I recall using git to sync a live ebuild -9999 from some repo and
portage started downloading gigabytes of cruft.  Presumably whole decades of
old commits I didn't need or have space for.  I subsequently discovered I had
to set "EGIT_CLONE_TYPE=shallow" in make.conf, but I can't find this variable
in the man page now.  I suppose/hope portage using git will only download more
recent commits?