On Mon, 4 Oct 2021 10:33:58 +0200, Arve Barsnes wrote:

> > Why not use --ask instead of --pretend? Then you don't have to copy
> > anything or re-run commands. "emerge -ca" is short enough to not need
> > an alias.
>
> Mostly because, while I am not a prolific installer of temporary
> packages, I fairly often (compared to how often depclean wants to
> remove anything at all) have one or two packages in the list that I
> want to delay removing for a little while. Most common after a kernel
> upgrade where I still have not gotten around to reboot and confirm
> that the new version actually works. Copying the package list now and
> then seems less of a hassle to me than having to say no to --ask most
> of the time.

I picked up this tip some years ago to avoid depcleaning kernel sources.

% cat /etc/portage/sets.conf
[kernels]
class = portage.sets.dbapi.OwnerSet
world-candidate = False
files = /usr/src

and emerge -n @kernels

I also have this in the file to allow multiple GCC versions.

[gcc]
class = portage.sets.dbapi.OwnerSet
world-candidate = False
files = /usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/gcc-bin

--
Neil Bothwick

With free advice you often get what you pay for.