On 2021.11.14 17:51, Wol wrote:
I'm still trying to get Wayland to work reliably. At the moment I log in at a TTY, then fire it up with "startplasma-wayland" ... except it doesn't start properly!

I'm GUESSING part of the problem is my video card isn't set up properly. But I thought I'd followed the gentoo guide, and compiled the Radeon and R600 drivers into my kernel. I prefer to compile stuff in the kernel and not as modules, and I told it to load the drivers into the kernel, but am worried I might have missed something. I've changed it for the next kernel so it'll be a module loading what it wants from the firmware directory, so hopefully that'll be better but I'm not sure.

I did an lspci -k and got this for the video card ...

09:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RV710 [Radeon HD 4350/4550]
        Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. RV710 [Radeon HD 4350/4550]
        Kernel driver in use: radeon
        Kernel modules: radeon

I notice it says "VGA compatible", and not what the wiki page leads me to expect - something like "Video driver" - which makes me think the card isn't set up properly.
I haven't tried Wayland in quite a while, but this motivates me to try again soon. However, my equivalent line is:

1c:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Cape Verde XT [Radeon HD 7770/8760 / R7 250X]

and Wayland did run for me when I last tried it. What wiki page are you looking at, since I don't see any reference to "video driver."

The symptoms basically are that wayland always hangs the first attempt to start it. Once killed from another tty it MAY (or may not) start successfully.

I mentioned Thunderbird - that keeps on losing contact with the compositor or something which is why it keeps crashing ...

And I run a multi-user system. I tried to fire up wayland as a second user, and got the error

kwin_xwl: /tmp/.X11-unix is not owned by root or us

Of course it isn't - it's not a user specific link so of course it's going to clash with another user!

I attach the wayland log I got in case it gives anybody any other clues as to what's going on.

Cheers,
Wol