Hi,

Jeff Smelser wrote:

>On Sunday 30 October 2005 05:15 pm, C. Beamer wrote:
>

>>The instructions on the Gentoo website for upgrading gave a step by step
>>to create a backup of my database.  However, when I went to restore the
>>database after the upgrade, the restore didn't work.  I'm thinking that
>>it was because of the way I got my database files into MySQL when I
>>initially installed MySQL under Gentoo.
>>

>The problem here, is your not giving us enough to say what really went wrong
>with the restore. If you have innodb tables, for example, you can't just
>restore them in all cases, without tweaking things a bit.. Your just assuming
>what the issue was, and telling us, then saying we should tweak things based
>off something you really dont know..

Nothing went wrong with the restore per se.  And you're right, I am
assuming the problem.

A better description would have been that the restore worked.  However,
the only database that was restored was the test database.  The database
that I had created by creating a directory that was named after the
database that I had created when using FC4 and then copying my database
related files into it, did not back up.  Hence my assumption that
because the database was *not* created in MySQL under Gentoo, perhaps
this was the reason that the backup did not "pick up" (for lack of a
better description) this database.

This is not a real big deal.  I can perform the same workaround that I
did this time.  I was just curious if there was a way to fix this so
that my database would back up properly.

A suggestion was made that I try to dump this database using mysqldump.
It was stated that if I can use the database, which I can, I should be
able to dump it.  I haven't had a chance to try this yet.

Regards,

Colleen