Hello list,

I use net-firewall/shorewall to protect my machines; it's served me well for
many years. My ISP gave me a FritzBox modem-router recently, in the hope of
better media streaming, but it's spamming my LAN server with HTTP requests
(port 80). The other machines are left alone; just this one is affected.

The many log entries are not a serious problem, just a nuisance, but I'd
rather not have to put up with them.

AVM, the modem's maker, says I should set shorewall up on this machine to
accept either port-80 requests or unsolicited packets of type 0x88e1. That
type is HomePlug Management, apparently, and the FritzBox is looking for any
such devices on the LAN. I don't know why it's picked on this one machine to
query, unless it's because it has the lowest IP address.

Questions:
1.  Will I be opening myself to external HTTP attacks if I open that port to
the modem-router? I assume I will, though no such service is running - at the
moment.
2.  As far as I can see, shorewall filters only on ports, not packet types. If
so, how can I specify a packet type to it?
3.   Does anyone here know how to specify HomePlug in shorewall?

Google hasn't helped much, nor has the Shorewall website, so I hope someone
here has experience of this.

--
Regards,
Peter.