On Sat, Apr 16, 2022 at 6:06 PM Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Mark Knecht wrote:
> > On Sat, Apr 16, 2022 at 3:53 PM Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > <SNIP>
> > Maybe this is a good excuse
> >> to start working on a NAS.  :/
> > That's my vote. (For the second time)
> >
> > I'm using a FreeBSD Nas (TrueNAS) but they recently came out with a
> > Linux version which you might be more comfortable with. If you use a
> > 1Gb/S or higher network connection it's quite fast.
> >
> > You can also go the Synology route via Amazon. You can get a 2-disk
> > NAS chassis which does RAID for around $250 last time I looked.
> >
> > Good luck whatever you do.
> >
> > Mark
>
> Other than being another piece of equipment running up a light bill, it
> is the best way to deal with this.  The way I'm doing now is a bit of a
> struggle at times.  I just need to get other things done first, from a
> money perspective which inflation isn't helping on.  A trip to the
> grocery story is no fun anymore.
>
> One of these days tho.  I just gotta do it.
>
> Dale

I hear you about groceries and inflation. Wol pushed me to build my
first one just using an old computer. I had an old machine - case,
power supply with a bad motherboard so I purchased an  i3-2120 CPU @
3.30GHz motherboard with 8GB memory used at a computer store for $40.
Surprisingly that's more than enough CPU & memory for basic backups.
No matter what you're going to have to pay for the drives whether they
go in your box, in external cases or in a backup machine.

I only turn it on to do backups or to retrieve data so not much electricity.