On Sun, 17 Apr 2022 13:28:50 -0400,
Mark Knecht wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 17, 2022 at 9:53 AM Jude DaShiell <jdash...@panix.com> wrote:
> >
> > Yes, I am blind and can disassemble computers okay but never could learn
> > to assemble them since the equipment to test memory external to computers
> > has been and will remain inaccessible.  This if it's done will have to be
> > done by a repair shop and likely will cost more to repair this machine
> > than replace it if that much work is involved.
> >

> I was curious about speakup as I had not heard about it so I attempted
> an install on my Ubuntu desktop but it's not in the default repositories.
>
> Reading the Ubuntu docs they say speakup is applied as a kernel
> patch to 2.4 & 2.6 level kernels and that to use it with a modern
> version the patches would have to be ported. It appears that all
> the docs on speakup I found quickly stalled out in 2008-2010.
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Accessibility/doc/Speakup
>
> Do you know of newer work?
>
> I'm curious about the program from a persona point of
> view. When I started at National Semiconductor in 1978
> we had a cantankerous old guy working on text-to-speach
> synthesizers so I had a little bit of exposure.
>
> There are old Ubuntu releases here:
>
> https://old-releases.ubuntu.com/releases/
>
> If I can figure out what kernels they were running I could
> possibly try creating a VM and see where it leads me.
>
> Echoing Jack's comment, I'm not sure this is a heat
> sink problem. Misoperation at the time of letting
> go of the reset button prior to POST. If the machine is
> starting cold a processor wouldn't overheat that fast but
> I haven't yet read all of your thread.
>
> I think there's also an opportunity here to do some sort
> of remote debug with you if we can find anything that does
> boot.

Speakup works in most recent kernels, 5.10.x and it is now in the
mainstream kernel, but I forget what release it got in there.  There
are two types of synthesizers, hardware and software.  Most people use
software synthesizers these days, I still use a hardware synthesizer.
  You might need the espeakup package to make it work, or speechdup
  and speech-dispatcher.
  I am pretty sure speakup is even in the net install of gentoo.

How do
you spend it?

         John Covici wb2una
         cov...@ccs.covici.com