Am Sun, Apr 24, 2022 at 11:57:49PM +0300 schrieb gevisz:

> After a recent update of my Gentoo system, I have noticed that some
> symbols may be rendered incomplete in a text mode.

Wahat exactly do you mean with “text mode”? Which terminal are you using,
and—most importantly—which font?

> It happens in Gvim, in a web-browser and in a dialog-window for saving
> files. Maybe, also in xterm but I am not quite sure about it. So, it is
> not specific to any application.

So not only in text mode (i.e. TTY or terminal)?

> For example, while saving a web-page from a google-chrome, I sometimes
> cannot see a dot before html. However, it is present there.

See it where? A (small) screenshot may help.
Perhaps it is an overwide character, but the program that displays the text
wants to adhere to a regular character width. I’ve had this issue in the
past with Konsole.

> Some letters can be shown without their top parts. In youtube videos, I
> may see only the lower part of a gear that denotes some customization
> features and so on.

Only the gear? Or also all the other symbols in the video player toolbar?
Again, a nicely cropped screenshot may shed some light so we can better
understand it.

> However, I do not see any distortion in playing videos.

Did you set up a strange or very unusual DPI value for your font rendering?

--
Grüße | Greetings | Salut | Qapla’
Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.

I’m lying naked on the bed, eating fruit.
In the 16th century, I would have been painted.