On Wednesday, 18 May 2022 09:51:57 BST Peter Humphrey wrote:
> On Saturday, 14 May 2022 17:34:58 BST Peter Humphrey wrote:
> > On Thursday, 5 May 2022 16:22:56 BST Peter Humphrey wrote:
> > > Is there a knack to getting my plasma desktop to operate happily with my
> > > new Bluetooth speakers? I can get a connection using the Bluetooth
> > > control panel, and the sound device appears in the Audio control panel,
> > > but testing either speaker produces no sound.
> >
> > I think I've solved the problem. No, not BT but with a wired connection I
> > do now have sound. BT can wait until I need it.
>
> Wrong again. In fact, the problem was that pulseaudio was not running. A
> simple 'pulseaudio start' - et voila! Sound.
>
> I found this along the way:
>
> # pulseaudio --dump-conf
> ### Read from configuration file: /etc/pulse/daemon.conf ###
> daemonize = no
> [...]
>
> Why is it set to No by default? Isn't PA deaf without the daemon running?

Pulseaudio is currently set to "daemonize = no" by default and it should also
be set "autospawn = no", in order for Plasma to use pipewire instead of
pulseaudio.   Pipewire is the new audio solution, which is meant to satisfy
use cases previously addressed with pulseaudio and/or jack, although it should
co-exist and work with both regardless.

As I understand it originally udev would probe, auto-detect and hotplug
devices, calling pulseaudio to process audio.  I am not up to speed how
pipewire now interacts with pulseaudio in depth, but I can see on a Plasma
system which has pulseaudio installed, pipewire is launched and uses pipewire-
pulse.conf:

                  \_ /usr/bin/wireplumber
                      \_ /usr/bin/pipewire
                      \_ /usr/bin/pipewire -c pipewire-pulse.conf

I have audio working, but no pulseaudio process shows up.