On Wednesday, 18 May 2022 11:02:21 BST Michael wrote:
> On Wednesday, 18 May 2022 09:51:57 BST Peter Humphrey wrote:
> > >
> > > I think I've solved the problem. No, not BT but with a wired connection
> > > do now have sound. BT can wait until I need it.
> >
> > Wrong again. In fact, the problem was that pulseaudio was not running. A
> > simple 'pulseaudio start' - et voila! Sound.
> >
> > I found this along the way:
> >
> > # pulseaudio --dump-conf
> > ### Read from configuration file: /etc/pulse/daemon.conf ###
> > daemonize = no
> > [...]
> >
> > Why is it set to No by default? Isn't PA deaf without the daemon running?
>
> Pulseaudio is currently set to "daemonize = no" by default and it should
> also be set "autospawn = no", in order for Plasma to use pipewire instead
> of pulseaudio.   Pipewire is the new audio solution, which is meant to
> satisfy use cases previously addressed with pulseaudio and/or jack,
> although it should co-exist and work with both regardless.
>
> As I understand it originally udev would probe, auto-detect and hotplug
> devices, calling pulseaudio to process audio.  I am not up to speed how
> pipewire now interacts with pulseaudio in depth, but I can see on a Plasma
> system which has pulseaudio installed, pipewire is launched and uses
> pipewire- pulse.conf:
>
>                   \_ /usr/bin/wireplumber
>                       \_ /usr/bin/pipewire
>                       \_ /usr/bin/pipewire -c pipewire-pulse.conf
>
> I have audio working, but no pulseaudio process shows up.

Somewhere around here I said I had too many USE flag staatements under /etc/
portage, so I removed package.use and just set whatever flags were needed to
install all my packages. That was fine, but it meant that USE=pulseaudio was
only set on alsa-plugins, which was fine as far as it went, but nothing else
could use PA. Now that I've put pulseaudio back into make.conf and recompiled,
I hope for a quieter life, if you see what I mean...

Thanks again for everyone's patience.

--
Regards,
Peter.