On Sunday, 17 July 2022 21:15:05 CEST Grant Taylor wrote:
> On 7/15/22 11:46 PM, J. Roeleveld wrote:
> > Hmm... interesting. I will look into this.
> :
> :-)
> :
> > But, it needs the agent to be running, which will make it tricky for
> > automation.
>
> Why can't automation start an agent?

It could, but that would open up an unsecured key to interception if an
intermediate host is compromised.

> Why can't there be an agent
> running that automation has access to?

See previous answer, the agent, as far as I know, will have the keys in memory
and I haven't seen evidence that it won't provide the keys without
authenticating the requestor.

> > I know, which is why I was investigating automating it. The passwords
> > are too long to comfortably copy by hand.
>
> I assume that you mean "type" when you say "copy".

Yes, copy/paste has no issues with multi-page texts. But manually reading a
long password and copying that over by typing on a keyboard when the font can
make the difference between "1" (ONE), "l" (small letter L) and "|" (pipe-
character) and similar characters make it annoying to say the least.

> > I will definitely investigate this. They sound interesting. I'd set
> > the validity to a lot less if this can be automated easily.
>
> Yes, it can be fairly easily automated.
>
> One of the other advantages of SSH /certificates/ is when you flip
> things around and use a /host/ certificate.  Clients can recognize that
> the target host's certificate is signed by the trusted SSH CA and not
> prompt for the typical Trust On First Use (TOFU) scenario.  Thus you can
> actually leverage the target host SSH fingerprint and not need to ignore
> that security aspect like so many people do.

Currently, when that comment pops up, the first thing I do is wait and wonder
why it's asking for it. As all the systems are already added to the list.

--
Joost