Wol wrote:
> On 15/08/2022 08:52, Dale wrote:
>> I just hope this 10TB drive isn't a SMR.  I googled around and the best
>> I could find is anything above 8TB is CMR.  It's a WD101EDBZ-11B1DA0.  I
>> hope that is right.  I'm not totally opposed to SMR even as a backup but
>> I'd rather not.  The deal I found was for a pull and costs about $110
>> including shipping.  I looked at a 14TB but my jaw dropped.  $$$$$$$$
>
> Just done a search for you (it helps I know what I'm looking for), but
> CMR it is ...
>
> https://nascompares.com/answer/list-of-wd-cmr-and-smr-hard-drives-hdd/
>
> I tend to go for OEM stuff, and know the names of the range I'm
> looking for - Seagate Ironwolf, Toshiba N300 - about £170 for 8TB ...
>
> Cheers,
> Wol

I can't express how glad I am to hear that.  While the current one is
SMR, I didn't know they even existed until I noticed it kept doing this
bumping thing long after the updates were done.  I could unmount it but
I can tell it was busy doing something but no clue what.  I actually
posted about it on this list and Rich figured it out.  Since then, I try
to avoid them just in case in the future I need to use the drive for
something SMR isn't suited for.  The almost full 8Tb drive will still be
used for backups but I'd never want to put it in my computer and use it
with anything that needs to write a lot.  Heck, even with me downloading
files over this new faster internet would put serious strain on that
drive.  Once the CMR buffer thingy fills up, it slows to about
40MBs/sec.  My internet can do 50MBs/sec easily.  I've seen it hit 70 or
better a few times.

Glad to know what I found was good info.  I just wonder how long it will
be before even 10TB drives will be SMR.  I also dread having to search
out a 14TB drive later.  :/

Dale

:-)  :-)