On Mon, Aug 15, 2022 at 1:17 PM Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Mark Knecht wrote:
> >
> > > As it is, I have several options.  In a way, I wish I could tell
> > rsync to do 1st half of alphabet to one drive and then with next
> > command tell it to do the 2nd half of alphabet.  That would likely
> > split the data in half for each one.
> >
> > You can do that, at least with a small kludge I'm sure. rsync supports
> > excluding directories and file names. As an example:
> >
> > rsync -avx --port=873
> > --exclude={.cache,.nv,'google-chrome*',DiskImages} /home/mark
> > mark@truenas1:/mn
> > t/MyPool/mark/Backups/science/.
> >
> > There's a test open (?? -n maybe ??) that allows you to see what it
> > would do.
> >
> > I'm sure you can figure that part out. The above line is just in a
> > script file for me
> >
> > HTH,
> > Mark
>

> In the directory I'm backing up, there is over 400 directories.  That
> would be a LOT of --exclude options.  Also, I would have to adjust the
> exclude options each time I added a new directory, which can be several
> a day sometimes.  The word nightmare comes to mind.  Loss of hair is
> also a thought.  :-D
>
> I'm just glad I got a bigger hard drive coming.  That's the easiest fix
> at the moment.
>
> Dale
>
> :-)  :-)

I have my movies in a directory called VideoLib and then subdirectories A,
B, C, etc. If you rearranged a little bit you could subdivide your movies
and use symbolic links to make it look more flat. That sort of arrangement
would mean 2 files with 13 excludes in each for the movies. You could leave
the rest alone, create a 3rd file and exclude the top level movie
directories.

Anyway, I just wanted to provide an option. Only you know what works for
your work flow.

Good luck,
Mark