Mark Knecht wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 15, 2022 at 1:17 PM Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com
> <mailto:rdalek1...@gmail.com>> wrote:

> > > rsync to do 1st half of alphabet to one drive and then with next
> > > command tell it to do the 2nd half of alphabet.  That would likely
> > > split the data in half for each one.
> > >
> > > You can do that, at least with a small kludge I'm sure. rsync supports
> > > excluding directories and file names. As an example:
> > >
> > > rsync -avx --port=873
> > > --exclude={.cache,.nv,'google-chrome*',DiskImages} /home/mark
> > > mark@truenas1:/mn
> > > t/MyPool/mark/Backups/science/.
> > >
> > > There's a test open (?? -n maybe ??) that allows you to see what it
> > > would do.
> > >
> > > I'm sure you can figure that part out. The above line is just in a
> > > script file for me
> > >
> > > HTH,
> > > Mark
> >

> > In the directory I'm backing up, there is over 400 directories.  That
> > would be a LOT of --exclude options.  Also, I would have to adjust the
> > exclude options each time I added a new directory, which can be several
> > a day sometimes.  The word nightmare comes to mind.  Loss of hair is
> > also a thought.  :-D
> >
> > I'm just glad I got a bigger hard drive coming.  That's the easiest fix
> > at the moment.
> >
> > Dale
> >
> > :-)  :-)
>
> I have my movies in a directory called VideoLib and then
> subdirectories A, B, C, etc. If you rearranged a little bit you could
> subdivide your movies and use symbolic links to make it look more
> flat. That sort of arrangement would mean 2 files with 13 excludes in
> each for the movies. You could leave the rest alone, create a 3rd file
> and exclude the top level movie directories.
>
> Anyway, I just wanted to provide an option. Only you know what works
> for your work flow.
>
> Good luck,
> Mark

I did think about doing it that way but sometimes I can't recall the
name of something I'm looking for and just have to scan down the list.
Breaking it up that way would complicate the matter because I'd have to
go look deeper.  As time goes on, I'd have to break it up even more
which would result in having to go even deeper.  There may be a way to
do it with linking or something but that could get interesting too.
I've already got some divided up but even that causes issues sometimes.

It's interesting, having all this data is neat but it can cause brain
teasers to sort through.  ;-)  I'm still considering that Raspberry Pi
thing tho.  Small, power efficient etc etc.  Lots of ideas.

Dale

:-)  :-)