On Fri, Nov 04, 2005 at 08:14:59AM +0000, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Nov 2005 20:48:43 -0500, John J. Foster wrote:
>
> > I tried changing this to
> >
> > /usr/bin/date | /usr/bin/mutt -s 'System restarted' [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >
> > and get the same segmentation fault.
>
> Isn't mutt overkill for this? Do you really need a full MUA on a server.
> I use mail for this sort of thing, emerge mailx.

I agree that this would most certainly be overkill for a server. But
this is my home machine, and I'd just like to receive notification at
work if it reboots for some odd reason.

> Having said that, it would be useful to find out why mutt is segfaulting.
> You can eliminate and environment differences by sourcing /etc/profile
> before running it. I find this often helps with cron scripts.

I did note something I consider quite odd, though. While rebooting,
local.start runs right _before_ inittab starts to bring the system to
runlevel 3.

A couple thing here.

rc-status shows /etc/init.d/local as part of the _default_ runlevel.

/etc/init.d/local stop  -  warns about shutting a boot service. This
warning only happens the first time it is stopped after a reboot.
Subsequent stops and starts produce no warnings.

It looks to me like _local_ is for some reason being started earlier
than it should, or my understanding of the boot process is limited.

Thanks,
John

--
If voting could change anything,