On Friday, 30 December 2022 04:08:51 GMT Walter Dnes wrote:
>   I'm b-a-a-a-a-ck... on my regular desktop.  I re-installed with
> unicode enabled and locale corrected.  Some rough edges, specifically no
> line-drawing characters.  See attached image.  Mutt is supposed to have
> horizontal lines from right after the ")" up to the ">".  Similarly mc
> is supposed to have vertical and horizontal line drawing characters
> separating and surrounding the two panels.  I can use "mc -a" to get a
> decent emulation with "+", "_", and "|" in place of line-drawing
> characters.  Similarly mutt has the "set ascii_chars" option to get an
> ugly version of line-threading.  Since this problem shows up on more
> than one app, I assume that it's a general system problem.  Any ideas on
> how to get real line-drawing characters back?

I can't recall what else you have eliminated as the cause of this rendering
problem.  Have you checked:

1. VT console.
2. Different terminal (urxvt, xterm, gnome terminal, konsole, etc.).
3. Different DE/Window Manager.

Also may be worth trying Wayland as opposed to Xorg, in case the video card
driver likes one more than the other.