On Fri, Dec 30, 2022 at 01:05:26PM +0000, Michael wrote

> I can't recall what else you have eliminated as the cause of this
> rendering problem.  Have you checked:
>
> 1. VT console.
> 2. Different terminal (urxvt, xterm, gnome terminal, konsole, etc.).
> 3. Different DE/Window Manager.

  A bit of digging.  For text tty's (tty1, tty2, etc) I use solar24x32
as the font.  On a text tty both mc and mutt work fine (line-drawing)
natively without any hacks.  They also work fine on urxvt without any
hacks.  Note that the ebuild that provides urxvt is called, wait for it,

rxvt-unicode

  It looks like urxvt is designed from square 1 to handle unicode, and
xterm is not.

--
I've seen things, you people wouldn't believe; Gopher, Netscape with
frames, the first Browser Wars.  Searching for pages with AltaVista,