I've been having this strange problem with my dual monitor setup.
While I've figured out the nightmare of auto-detect not working at all
with dual monitors and the inability to use nvidia's configure tool
combined with Plasma's monitor option to fix the problem I've switched
to nouveau and at least it is consistent now and not messing up my
windows and randomly disconnecting.

However, I still have one problem which is getting annoying. DPMS does
not work automatically like it should. It says for the monitors the
capabilities are off. But then it enables it (but it doesn't - xset
shows everything disabled - first two lines are monitors and the last
one is a general message saying it's enabled.)

$ grep -i dpms /var/log/Xorg.0.log
[     6.087] (II) modeset(0): DPMS capabilities: Off
[     6.156] (II) modeset(0): DPMS capabilities: Off
[     6.174] (==) modeset(0): DPMS enabled
[     6.174] (II) Initializing extension DPMS

Now I can run xset dpms 300 450 600 and only then xset shows it as set:

$ xset q
Keyboard Control:
 auto repeat:  on    key click percent:  0    LED mask:  00000002
 XKB indicators:
   00: Caps Lock:   off    01: Num Lock:    on     02: Scroll Lock: off
   03: Compose:     off    04: Kana:        off    05: Sleep:       off
   06: Suspend:     off    07: Mute:        off    08: Misc:        off
   09: Mail:        off    10: Charging:    off    11: Shift Lock:  off
   12: Group 2:     off    13: Mouse Keys:  off
 auto repeat delay:  600    repeat rate:  25
 auto repeating keys:  00ffffffdffffbbf
                       fadfffefffedffff
                       9fffffffffffffff
                       fff7ffffffffffff
 bell percent:  50    bell pitch:  400    bell duration:  100
Pointer Control:
 acceleration:  2/1    threshold:  4
Screen Saver:
 prefer blanking:  yes    allow exposures:  yes
 timeout:  0    cycle:  600
Colors:
 default colormap:  0x20    BlackPixel:  0x0    WhitePixel:  0xffffff
Font Path:
 /usr/share/fonts/misc,/usr/share/fonts/75dpi,built-ins
DPMS (Display Power Management Signaling):
 Standby: 300    Suspend: 450    Off: 600
 DPMS is Enabled
 Monitor is On

However, while it does blank and turn off the screens it doesn't last.
Maybe 10 seconds later the screens turn back on.

I can force it with xset to turn the monitors off immediately but same
results - after a short time the monitors turn back on. In the X logs
there is this:

[   449.529] (WW) EDID timing clock 408.29 exceeds claimed max 75MHz, fixing

which makes me wonder if the EDID data is bad on the one monitor (a
Samsung monitor.)

Does anyone know of a way to test this DPMS? I suppose I could try
unplugging the Samsung monitor to see if the problem goes away? One
thing that may make a difference is that the Samsung is HDMI and the
other monitor (MSI) is DP.

However, both of these monitors worked find on my old computer (it was
really old, no UEFI support.

Can anyone think of next steps? I'm running out of things to try...

Dan