On 2/6/23 08:00, Jack wrote:
If you find that the EDID is really bad for one of the monitors, you should be able to find a correct copy and make that one available to X, although I don't remember how since I haven't needed to do so in years. I believe it is a setting within/under Xorg.conf.

Jack

Strangely enough, I had time to do more testing today. I tried unplugging each monitor and trying it out forcing DPMS on.

I have two monitors: MSI on DP, and a Samsung on HDMI.

The Samsung is the one with EDID errors but it works fine with DPMS with the other monitor (MSI) unplugged.

The MSI monitor (with the Samsung monitor unplugged) still has the problem with random wakes.

Thinking it might be a displayport issue, I hooked my laptop to the hdmi port on the MSI - same problem... couldn't use the main PC as there's only one hdmi port on the video card.

So the MSI monitor is at fault here, both hdmi and displayport fail to use DPMS correctly.

Oddly enough, it's the Samsung with the EDID errors but it is working fine despite those errors. Go figure...

Alas, now at least I can move on with configuring the rest of the system. Looks like the only way to fix this problem is to get another monitor.

Dan