On 3/1/23 7:10 AM, efeizbudak wrote:
Hi all,

Hi,

I let mutt-wizard set a cron job which takes my password out of pass, logs into the email server and fetches my mail every 5 minutes.

Can you re-architect this as a (pseudo) daemon so that you unlock it once (or at least a LOT less often) and it stores the necessary information in memory for subsequent re-use?

With this I have to unlock my key as frequently as the amount in gpg-agent.conf's default-cache-ttl setting.

:-/

pam-gnupg has been suggested as a remedy to this problem but the disclaimer on its page about dangerous bugs make me hesitant to use it. What do you think about the security of it? It's only 500 SLOC but I don't trust myself with reviewing the security of it.

I don't relish the idea of giving something the keys to the kingdom.

Could you re-configure things so that (a copy of) the requisite password is accessible via a different set of GPG credentials specific to the process that you're running? Then you could probably have just that set of GPG credentials unprotected so that the script could use them as it is today.

If neither of these options were possible I'd look into something like a TPM and / or Yubikey wherein I could offload some of the GPG to it so that the decryption key is physically tied to the source computer /and/ *where* *it* *can't* *be* *copied*.

I might also look into other authentication methods, e.g. TLS client certificate, so that the script can do what it needs to without needing to bother with GPG.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die