Am Tue, Apr 18, 2023 at 10:05:27AM -0500 schrieb Dale:

> Given how I plan to use this drive, that should last a long time.  I'm
> just putting the OS stuff on the drive and I compile on a spinning rust
> drive and use -k to install the built packages on the live system.  That
> should help minimize the writes.

Well, 300 TB over 5 years is 60 TB per year, or 165 GB per day. Every day.
I’d say don’t worry. Besides: endurance tests showed that SSDs were able to
withstand multiples of their guaranteed TBW until they actually failed (of
course there are always exceptions to the rule).

> I read about that bytes written.  With the way you explained it, it
> confirms what I was thinking it meant.  That's a lot of data.  I
> currently have around 100TBs of drives lurking about, either in my rig
> or for backups.  I'd have to write three times that amount of data on
> that little drive.  That's a LOT of data for a 500GB drive.

If you use ext4, run `dumpe2fs -h /dev/your-root-partition | grep Lifetime`
to see how much data has been written to that partition since you formatted
it. Just to get an idea of what you are looking at on your setup.

--
Grüße | Greetings | Qapla’
Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.

What woman is looking for a man who is looking for a woman looking for a man?